Sunday, September 13, 2009

Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Update

The 10.6.1 update seems to have resolved the Save As crashing I was having with Neo Office and improved Mail.app's ability to get email from the Exchange server.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Snow Leopard and NeoOffice

Even with the newest patches in place, I'm having trouble getting Neo Office v 2.2.5 or 3.0 to save files into different formats. It keeps crashing when I try to save a .odt file as a docx and when I try to save a file as an rtf. I'm watching the NeoWiki on the topic since it's possible it's just me having the problem.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Snow Leopard and Canon Image Runners

My UFR II printer drivers don't seem to work with Snow Leopard. This is sad, because the UFR II system is pretty cool. After reading these posts http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2128186&tstart=0&start=15 I spent some time trying to get things working as it seems that Canon may take their time getting an updated driver into the world.

First, I just used the IP# of the ImageRunner and the generic PostScript and PCL drivers. This got my document to print, but on 11x17 paper instead of 8.5x11. Then I decided to try the old school approach of installing the PPD's and going that way. I found the PPD's here http://www.usa.canon.com:80/opd/controller?act=OPDSoftwareAct&fcategoryid=2321&modelid=11193 and then ran the installer.

This time, when I set up the printer (again using IP#) I found some Canon iR drivers that weren't there before including the one for my model. NB: There is only one printer in the big list that says "ImageRUNNER" in it, all of the others either say just "Canon IR" or "Canon IRC" and the model number.

Finally, success! Things print on 8.5x11 and I can duplex. The standard Apple print dialog boxes have all of the features I normally use on the printer, they're just in a different place than the old UFR II screens, so I have to hunt around a little.

Now, on to fixing the Juniper VPN client that doesn't seem to like Snow Leopard.

Mail.app with Exchange

The connection to our Exchange 2007 server from Mail.app is still not super reliable. This morning the "Activity" window of Mail.app shows the Opening mailbox..., Adding Messages, and Fetching new mail tasks all frozen. If I kill all three tasks (clicking on the Stop sign for each) and then click the "Get Mail" icon from the main Mail.app window, it updates my inbox and now I seem to be in business.

I'm going to watch my account via Mail.app and OWA today to see if I can see any pattern. Yesterday, at least once I had to jump over to OWA to get messages as Mail.app wouldn't update.